Thursday, February 17, 2011

Vibrator shopping - suggestions, anyone?

A very dear friend gave me a very generous gift which I might have refused except she explained it was a portion of some ill-gotten gains. I thanked her very prettily and then set about finding an appropriate use for it - other than paying my electric bill.

Finally, the obvious idea danced naked before me.
A new vibrator!
A very expensive new vibrator!

As I discovered last December, when the sadist forced me to fuck myself with a dildo for days on end, my beautiful blue vibrator (see photo at bottom of right-hand column) had died due to lack of use. That is, the batteries corroded and no amount of cleaning could correct the damage. Sad kitten... it was a present from the philosopher, it was just the right size, it was the colors of both Sweden and the University of Michigan, and I loved it dearly. Even though I didn't use it all that often. I never really got into the habit of masturbating with something insertable, and these days, of course, I don't get to masturbate that much at all. Still, I was very sad at its loss, and began lusting after something new and elegant.

I became obsessed with getting a vibrator from Lelo. And had no idea how I could justify buying one. I had hoped the nice folks at Theirtoys.com would let me review one, after the very creative job I did reviewing the little Lipstick Vibe they sent me. But they don't move reviewers up to the fancy stuff until they see that you've generated sales - and as far as I could tell, only one or two of you even clicked through to their website, let alone bought anything! But now I have the money - and don't you think this would be the perfect thing to get?

Now, of course, I have to decide which one. First of all, I must admit that I'm going to get it from Amazon. The savings is huge, and what with my being unemployed and all, and growing poorer by the minute, my desire to support smaller - and especially women-run - businesses must capitulate to practicalities. So Amazon it is. And I do want something insertable, as opposed to one of those lovely clitoral creatures.

At this point, I'm debating between the Liv and the Iris. I've been prowling all around the web looking for opinions, and in the end it mostly seems to be a matter of personal preference. I'm not worried about their vibrations not being strong enough. I expect that for my tastes they will be quite adequate. And they are both supposed to be very quiet. My main concern is size. The Iris is longer, which would be better, but there have been occasional comments about it being too fat. I don't like (read "I hate") my purple monster dildo because it is uncomfortably fat, while the blue vibrator was perfect. I found dimensions (circumference and diameter) for both the Liv and the Iris, but it is unclear where along the shafts the measurements were taken. It can definitely make a difference.

So, dear readers.
Do any of you have one or both of these lovely creatures?
How do you like them?
What do you like best?
What don't you like?
And could you please measure the circumference at the widest and narrowest points?

Of course, if anyone has any other vibrator suggestions, I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks so much for your help! And of course, whichever I get, you will get a full report on our interactions.

o.g.

11 comments:

Jen said...

I have a LIV!!!! And I LOVE LOVE LOVE LIVE LOVE LOVE (you're a smart woman, you get the picture) it!

The varitey of setting, speeds, coupled with the silicone...mmm.

PERSONALLY, I like that its plug-in to charge. I know whats not everyones cup to tea, but I like it.

The ONE complaint I have about it is that the control pad is TECHNICALLY upside down, if you were to be splayed out on your back, and not looking directly at it, going by feel alone, the D-Pad is reverse what you'd expect it to be.

BUT, I can learn. :)

Best. Toy. Ever.

(I also have a GiGi...I'm not crazy about G-Spot toys...but as far as G-Spots stimulators go...its pretty damned passable in my book)

oatmeal girl said...

Thanks, Jen. Could you measure the circumference for me at the thinnest and widest usable spot?

I do like that it is rechargeable.

The silicone... I always used my defunct blue and yellow vibrator from Fun Factory - a delightful thing) with a condom, for ease of clean up and to reduce the chance of infection. Do you use Liv bare? Any comments on that?

Thanks so much for your help.

o.g.

mymastersgirl said...

I do not own either of those models, but I do own a Mona which I could measure for you as a point of comparison if you would like?

The real reason the Lelo brand was worth spending that much money on (for me) was the lack of noise - I always used to find that extremely distracting! I use mine bare and the clean up is a breeze. Oh, and the other thing I like about these.. they're nowhere near as heavy as the standard battery operated models I've had in the past :)

oatmeal girl said...

Thanks, mmg. And yes, please, do measure the circumference a both the narrowest and fattest points. Then I can compare to what gets posted and figure out how it's being done.

Edens Fantasy has a very nice comparison tool, which lists dimensions and rates noise and the like.

marianne said...

I have Iris. She's wonderful... pretty much a daily friend lately. Amazingly intense orgasms... sometimes I use her inside and sometimes just on my clit.

And..... she was actually sent to me free to review, as was my Lelo Lily (who is now defunct, unfortunately). You need to contact Lelo directly to review for them, but it's worth it.

I think if I were to get a new Lelo, I'd get something from the new Insignia line ... waterproof. ;)

oatmeal girl said...

Thanks so much, marianne. Do you know who the current contact is at Lelo? Maybe I should write them in Swedish...

Could you measure the circumference of Iris at the thinnest and fattest parts? That's really my main concern at this point. I like that she's longer than Liv, but do worry about her being too fat. (That sounds weird...)

Jen said...

Hee hee, sorry! It looks like at its widest part its just about an inch and a half...and at just about an inch at its skinniest.

I always use mine bare...but what i love about silicone is that if you use normal lube (like ky..its non silicone) it wipes right off, and the silicone can withstand being boiled. And that how I clean mine. Little boiling water to dip it in and its good as new!

Jen said...

I was gonna add, Lelo toys seem to be skinnier than most.

I'm not sure why they chose to make all their toys small, but they've got a customer for life in me.

My hoohaa is TEENY TINY. So I constantly struggle with toys being too big. But for the most part, Lelo toys are pretty damned slim.

They seem to vibrate not only quieter, but softer, too. You know how some vibrators could cause memory loss vause they shake so violently? Yeah, they aren't like that. :)

oatmeal girl said...

I do love the comments coming in on this post!

Jen, that inch at the narrowest part, you're talking diameter, right? Straight across? Not circumference. The specs I saw for Liv were diameter 1-1/8 inch, so that would be about right if they gave it for the thinnest part.

A quick boil for cleaning sounds good. Though it's bad enough having a vibrator drying in the dish rack. Can you imagine a housemate coming in and finding one cooking on the stove?

Actually, my current renter is a young half-Swede, and I'm sure she would be just fine. Maybe for the next one, I should include the topic in a questionnaire: "How would you react if you saw a vibrator cooking on the stove at dinertime?"

Jen said...

Yes, diameter. :) Pretty thin. I've never felt like I was being stretched or having to force or anyting.

And the good thing about silicone is that the water beads off, so it takes 2 good shakes to dry it off :)

I've had butt plugs sitting in the sink drying before.

No one seemed to mind, I mean, they were clean!
:)

mymastersgirl said...

Circumerences are: 3 and 4 1/4 inches, approximately. It was surprisingly fiddly to measure given the curves!

Which reminds me, somewhere I have their smart balls to try out, too.