Friday, November 14, 2008

On Your Desire

Your desire is a dark, rich beer,
hungry yeast feeding on sweets.
It bubbles in the belly of the beast
and gorges itself on horror and tears.
A burp could come at any time,
while on the road, or selling your wares.
GERD in its erotic form, a perverted
variant of a common complaint.
It's not the taste of bile that stains
your gorge. It's essence of cunt, and
your testicles jump as you roll the flavor
in your greedy mouth as if it were
that melting flesh itself. You want her.
You want to fall on her, tearing her
to bits, stripping away her flesh,
sucking the poetic marrow from her bones,
and leaving only tears and the echo of
her screams. And her lips. Her moist
yielding lips that you kiss for hours
bathing in the blood of her submission.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Posted by permission.

I did not write the last, dark part. Some poet dybbuk drove my fingers and I watched in horror as his words took shape in blood upon the screen. I had gotten as far as "You want her." It seemed to need two more lines. I was stealing time from my employer to serve my cruel confessor, but my mind had stalled. I stared at my words but inspiration was on a coffee break. And then, I swear on a pile of long heavy chain, my fingers began to move and the poem was done. And then I couldn't free myself of it for the rest of the day. As did my story "The Branding" for days after it was written, this poem continues to haunt me. But it pleased my punishing professor, and in our world that's all that matters.

1 comment:

oatmeal girl said...

Well hey, if no one else is going to comment, then I will. Because I love this one. I love its darkness, HIS darkness. I love the primal lust. I love how all pretense of kindness gets stripped away, and you see that he's the wild beast and I'm his willing prey.